– 2 garlic cloves
– 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil (240ml)
– 4 cups of basil leaves, washed and thoroughly dried
– 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
– 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
– 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
Place garlic, basil leaves, salt, and pine nuts in a food processor (or use a pestle and mortar if you’re a purist). With motor running, add extra virgin olive oil in a thin steady stream.
Once you have an even consistency, add freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese to the food processor and puree for a few more seconds.
Pesto can be served fresh or it can be preserved in the refrigerator or freezer. To preserve the sauce in a jar, make sure to top up the pesto with a layer of extra virgin olive oil.
Yield: approximately 2 – 3 cups
Still hungry?… See more recipe’s from David Rocco’s Dolce Vita