Since no canning is required for these quick and easy Italian pickled vegetables, store them in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
– 4 cups white wine vinegar
– 2 tbsp. sugar
– 2 tbsp. kosher salt
– 6 garlic cloves, left whole and peeled
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 tsp. dried oregano
– 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
– About 2 cups small cauliflower florets
– 12 pearl onions, trimmed, blanched and peeled
– 2 medium carrots, sliced or diced
– 1 small zucchini, sliced or diced
– 1/2 large or 1 small red pepper, diced
– 1/2 fennel bulb, diced
– 1 to 2 fresh finger or Thai chiles, sliced or to taste
Add vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, bay leaves, and dried oregano to large saucepan. For a very tart pickle add only 1 cup water. Add 1/2 cup more water for less tart. Bring to a boil and cook just until sugar and salt dissolve.
Blanch veggies in vinegar mixture until heated through but still firm, about 3 to 5 minutes. (For best results, blanch each vegetable separately.) Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon or spider, reserving the vinegar mixture.
Pack vegetables into 4 clean (500 ml) mason jars or 2 clean (1 litre) mason jars. Pour vinegar mixture over top. Add sliced chiles to each jar. Cover with lid. When cool, refrigerate. Let stand for 1 to 2 days before serving for best flavour. Store in fridge and use within 2 weeks.
Yield: 4 (500 ml) mason jars or 2 (1 litre) mason jars
Still hungry?… See more recipe’s from In The Kitchen With Stefano Faita