Serve this classic sauce over pasta, polenta or even roasted spaghetti squash.
– 3 tbsp. butter
– 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 small carrots, finely diced
– 2 celery ribs, finely diced
– 1 pound ground veal
– 1 can (28-ounce) diced tomatoes
– Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
– 1/4 cup whipping cream (35 %) (optional)
– Handful chopped fresh parsley (optional)
In a Dutch oven, heat the butter and the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté. When the onions have softened, add the carrots and celery. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the ground veal and cook until meat begins to brown and vegetables are tender, another 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer until thick and flavourful, about 20 to 30 minutes. If using cream, add and let cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Still hungry?… See more recipe’s from In The Kitchen With Stefano Faita