Ciambellone di limone e ricotta
By Made in Italy with Silvia Colloca
We normally turn to this recipe for a Sunday morning treat because it’s the perfect cake for dunking into coffee. It’s basically the love child of sponge and Madeira cakes.
– 3 eggs
– 200 g caster sugar
– 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 170 g fresh full-cream ricotta, well drained
– 210 g self-raising flour, sifted
– 70 g almond meal
– Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract (or half a freshly scraped vanilla bean)
– 1 tbsp amaretto (optional, see Note)
– Icing sugar, for dusting
– Mascarpone or honeyed ricotta, to serve (optional)
Cooling time 30 minutes
Preheat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Butter and flour a Bundt tin.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until pale and creamy. Add the olive oil and ricotta and mix until smooth. Gently fold in the flour and almond meal, then add the lemon zest and juice, vanilla and amaretto (if using).
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for about 35–40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the tin before turning out onto a plate. Dust with icing sugar and serve as it is or with a dollop of mascarpone or honeyed ricotta.
Give the amaretto a miss for an alcohol-free option.
Still hungry?… See more recipe’s from Made in Italy with Silvia Colloca