TLN Media Group is looking for a keen, creative, and experienced person to expand our special events activities, including the flagship TD Salsa in Toronto / Salsa on St. Clair brand. We need someone who can leverage their knowledge, contacts, and experience in events to achieve financially responsible growth.
About the Role
TD Salsa in Toronto Festival has an 18-year track record as the leading Latino-oriented summer event in Canada. Anchored by the mid-July weekend, free street festival known as Salsa on St. Clair, and surrounded by weeks of mini satellite music, arts, and dance events across the city, the festival attracts 350,000 participants each season. The festival is ready to grow even bigger, expanding its footprint with the help of its founding media and operations partner, TLN Media Group. Working closely with the Canadian Salsa Festival Project and the TLN Media Group team, the Executive Director, Event Growth will be accountable for:
- developing new and innovative commercial sponsorships,
- pursuing discussions with interested groups to spread the brand regionally and year-round,
- leveraging event tech knowledge to better commercialize free public events, and
- conceiving, assessing, and executing new satellite events, live experiences and other promotions that leverage our (a) content library, (b) media reach, (c) community connections, (d) physical storefront location.
The Executive Director, Event Growth leads by example—this is a hands-on role that requires someone who can not only manage a team but also rolls up their sleeves to get things done. This role will take on all aspects of the festival to grow and run it. We’re looking for someone who not only has great ideas but someone who also knows how to execute them flawlessly. Someone with strong leadership skills, who is seasoned at event operations, sponsorships, business case development, budgeting/reporting, and promotion. If this “someone” is you, please reach out.
- Develop and implement a plan to grow the Salsa brand and revenues with innovative but pragmatic strategies.
- Expand the Salsa in Toronto festival in terms of scope, participation numbers, sponsorship opportunities, and awareness.
- Grow the number of Salsa events across the GTA and across Canada.
- Work with and add additional sponsors, strategic partners, BIAs, vendors, suppliers, municipal, provincial, and federal government, etc.
- Project manage all event logistics (planning and onsite), contingencies, and onsite operations, ensuring flawless event execution.
- Assist in event budgeting and ensure event expenses are in check and accounted for.
- Negotiate contracts with external stakeholders.
- Ensure events are compliant with all company policies, contractual obligations, regulations, laws, and health and safety.
Skills & Qualifications
- At least 6+ years of event management and/or project management experience, ideally with large-scale public festivals/events.
- 3+ years of business development, ideally related to event sponsorship, funding, partnerships.
- Passion for doing great work.
- Strategic thinker able to synthesize data into digestible, practical strategies & tactics.
- Excellent communication skills—Spanish language skills would an advantage.
- Public speaking/media training skills.
- Superb detail orientation and follow-through.
- Strong analytical skills, able to digest data and find actionable insights.
- Strong cross-functional team management skills and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at once, from conception to implementation.
- Strong budgeting and expense management skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends and travel as required.
- Experience in broadcast media is an advantage.
How to Apply for the Executive Director, Event Growth Position
TLN Media Group is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to promoting inclusivity within our workplace.
To submit your application, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line Executive Director, Event Growth Job Application: (Your Name).
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, note that only selected candidates will be contacted.
About TLN Media Group
Nearing 40 years of service to Canadians, the TLN Media Group organization brands continue to inform and entertain millions. Whether in Italian, Spanish, English or other languages, TLN has played a key role in the development of the national multicultural media landscape. Since launching in 1984, the original ethnic TV channel “Telelatino” has grown to become TLN Media Group, Canada’s most influential multicultural media company. TLN Media Group is an independent, immigrant-owned organization dedicated to connecting communities through storytelling and shared experiences. As a multicultural advocacy leader, TLN Media Group selects, curates, produces, and commissions unique and culturally significant TV and digital content distributed in Canada and worldwide. TLN TV, the original flagship channel has evolved into a mainstream-friendly destination providing multiculturally rich content. TLN Media Group also operates Canada’s most widely available multilingual TV channels led by Spanish language leader Univision Canada and top Italian language services Mediaset Italia Canada and TGCOM24 news network. And TLN Media Group’s additional TV channels include Canada’s first and only Heritage language channels for kids, Telebimbi (Italian) and Teleniños (Spanish), bringing well-known Canadian-made kids shows to families nationwide; and EuroWorld Sport TV, a channel dedicated to sports fandom. TLN Media Group has produced and promoted many cultural events and festivals, the most widely recognized of which is the annual TD Salsa in Toronto/Salsa on St Clair summer festival and street party.