Irish chef, food writer and cookery teacher Catherine Fulvio provides the perfect recipe for an Easter treat – Shortbread Biscuits!
Ingredients (Produces ~30)
For the Shortbread Biscuits…
- 220g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 140g chilled butter, diced
- 60g caster sugar
- ½ tsp lemon extract (or zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly whisked with a fork
- 40ml cold water
For the Icing…
- 350g icing sugar
- 2 egg whites, whisked lightly
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Yellow, green, pink colour paste or any pale colour you would like to use
Instructions for Shortbread Easter Biscuits
- You will need Easter cookie cutter/s 4 disposable piping bags or 4 fabric bags fitted with fine nozzles.
- To prepare the biscuits, place the plain flour and cornflour into a bowl, add the diced butter and blend with your fingertips until fine breadcrumb is reached.
- Add the sugar and lemon extract. Add the water to the egg yolk, mix lightly and then add to the flour mix. Then mix well to form a firm dough.
- Place on a floured surface and knead it together well. Wrap up in parchment and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Roll the biscuit dough out to 3mm on a floured surface. Stamp out the biscuit shapes and place on the lined baking trays. Bake for 12-15 minutes but check them at 12 minutes. As all ovens vary slightly.
- Leave on the trays for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack. The biscuits must be completely cooled before icing them.
- Enjoy Catherine Fulvio’s Shortbread Easter Biscuits!