Tacos de Camarón, Tocino y Garbanzos Crujientes con Guacamole
Serves 8-10 tacos
- 12 ounces bacon, about 8 thick slices, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed, drained, patted dry
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1 guajillo chile, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, chopped
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, rinsed, shelled and cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Corn tortillas
- Smooth Guacamole
In a large saute pan or casserole set over medium-high heat, fry the bacon for a couple minutes, until it starts rendering its fat. Add the chickpeas and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook until lightly browned, about 6 to 7 minutes. Incorporate the guajillo chile and almonds, stir, cook for a minute, and scrape into a bowl.
Add the oil and butter to that same pan and once it melts and bubbles, add the shrimp and season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute and once the shrimp begin to brown, add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Turn off the heat. Incorporate the bacon and chickpea mix and taste for salt.
Heat the corn tortillas on a preheated comal or skillet set over medium-low heat. Tuck the shrimp mixture into the heated tortillas and top with the smooth guacamole.
Need more culinary flavour? Check out Pati’s Mexican Table!