Irish chef, food writer and cookery teacher Catherine Fulvio provides a recipe for an Almond Cardamom Rosewater Cake!
Ingredients (Serves 8-10)
For the cake:
- 200g softened butter
- 160g golden caster sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 170g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium orange, zest only
- ¾ tsp ground cardamom
- 4 tbsp pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 drops rosewater
- 70ml milk, you may need more
- Pinch saffron
For the syrup:
- 180g caster sugar
- 1 ½ lemons, zest and juice
- ½ orange, zest and juice
- 3 drops rosewater
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 3 tbsp pistachios, to decorate
- Roses and petals, to decorate (organic)
Instructions for Almond Cardamom Rosewater Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Line the base of a 20cm springform tin with parchment. Brush the sides with melted butter.
- Place the butter and sugar into the bowl of a mixer and cream until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the plain flour, ground almonds and baking powder, orange zest, cardamom and rosewater.
- Mix the saffron into the milk and pour into the cake batter.
- Spoon into the prepared springform tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden and cooked. Insert a skewer, when ready, it should come out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the topping, mix all ingredients together. While the cake is hot, make holes in the cake with a skewer or carving fork, then evenly pour over the syrup. When cool, run a thin palette knife around the tin and remove from the tin.
- When ready to decorate, place on a cake stand, dust the top of the cake with icing sugar, place the pistachio nuts around the rim of the top. Arrange roses and petals on top and serve.
Enjoy Catherine Fulvio‘s Almond Cardamom Rosewater Cake!