Mexican chef, TV personality, cookbook author, educator, and food writer Pati Jinich provides a recipe for Spicy Guacamole, also known as Guacamole Ahumado!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chile, or more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 slice of white onion, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves and upper stems, coarsely chopped
- 3 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, meat scooped out
Instructions for Smoky Guacamole
- Place the chile, unpeeled garlic and onion slice on a pre-heated comal or skillet set over medium heat, or place under the broiler on a sheet pan.
- Char or roast for about 10 minutes, flipping occasionally so they char evenly, until blackened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the garlic and cut the stem from the chile.
- Coarsely chop, chile, garlic and onion. Place in bowl or molcajete, along with the lime juice and salt, and mash or mix until pasty.
- Incorporate the cilantro and avocados, and mash until you reach your desired consistency.
- Enjoy Pati Jinich‘s Smoky Guacamole!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out Pati’s Mexican Table!