This Baked Toast Sandwich is an Italian version of a grilled cheese sandwich. The beauty of this recipe is that once you have made it you will find a hundred ways to reinvent it.
- 3 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
- 8 Slices of Sturdy Whole-Wheat Bread
- 8 Slices -Low–Moisture Mozzarella
- 8 Slices Deli Ham
- ¼ Cup Prepared Tomato Sauce
- 8 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
Instructions for Baked Toast Sandwiches
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Arrange four slices of the bread in the dish, not touching. Top each with one slice of cheese and two slices of ham.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the ham, and top with the basil leaves, then the remaining slices of cheese.
- Spread the last four slices of bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and set on top of the sandwiches, butter side up.
- Sprinkle the bread with the grated cheese.
- Bake until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted and bubbly about 15 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Enjoy Lidia’s Baked Toast Sandwiches!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out Lidia’s Kitchen!