Here is the recipe for a delicious ravioli to make and serve for Valentine’s Day!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
For the Beetroot Pasta…
• 150g strong white flour
• Pinch of salt
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 2 tbsp cooked beetroot puree and well strained (leave in a sieve for the liquid to drain out)
For the Filling…
• 60g goat’s cheese
• 50g ricotta cheese
• 2 tbsp grated parmesan
• 1 tsp marjoram (or thyme), chopped
• ¼ roasted red pepper, finely chopped
• ½ lemon, zest only
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Lemon Cream Sauce…
• 100ml cream
• ½ lemon, lemon juice and zest
• 1 tbsp chopped chives
• Salt and white pepper
• Walnuts, roughly chopped, to garnish
• Lemon zest, to garnish
• Chives, to garnish
• Grated parmesan, to serve (optional)
Instructions for Beetroot & Goat Cheese Ravioli With Lemon Cream Sauce & Walnuts
• To make pasta the traditional way, sift the strong flour and salt onto a clean work surface and make a well in the centre. Whisk the egg, oil and beetroot puree together with a fork and gently pour into the well.
• Gradually mix the liquid ingredients into the flour, using the fingers of one hand. Knead the pasta until smooth. Wrap up in parchment and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
• To use the food processor, sift the flour and salt into the bowl. Pour in the beaten egg, oil and beetroot puree and process until the dough begins to come together. Turn out and knead until smooth. Wrap and rest for at least 30 minutes.
• To roll out, using a pasta machine, feed the dough through the widest setting several times. Feed the pasta through the machine, narrowing the setting by one notch each time, until the required the finest setting for ravioli.
• When ready to assemble, mix all the ingredients for the filling together.
• Bring 2 litres of water to the boil and add ¾ tsp salt.
• Find the halfway point in the length of pasta, and spoon the filling at intervals on one half. Lightly egg wash around and lay the remaining pasta half over, pressing firmly down and ensuring no air is trapped.
• To make the sauce, add the cream, lemon zest, juice, chives and seasoning to a saucepan and heat through. Cook until slightly thickened.
• Once the water is at rolling boil, carefully lower the ravioli in and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. To check that they are cooked, slice a little pasta and taste. It should be al dente.
• To serve, arrange 3-5 ravioli (depending on the size made) on a plate. Spoon over the lemon cream sauce, add the lemon zest and sprinkle over a few walnuts and chives to garnish.
• Serve immediately, adding grated parmesan as desired.
• Enjoy your Beetroot & Goat Cheese Ravioli With Lemon Cream Sauce & Walnuts!
Happy Valentine’s Day!