Chicken Nanban, Tartar Sauce, Asian Slaw, Tare Dipping Sauce
INGREDIENTS | SERVES Serves 4
For the tare dipping sauce
- 60ml rice vinegar
- 90ml soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp red chilli flakes
For the slaw
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ small red cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 Wombok or Pak Choy, sliced
- 50g mangetout, very sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- (and 3 tbsp of the Tare as above)
For the tartar sauce
- ½ red onion, or 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 200g mayonnaise
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken
- 4 small chicken breasts, ( sliced in half & flatten thinner )
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g plain flour
- 60g cornflour
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- Japanese rice, to serve
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- Coriander, to garnish
- For the tare sauce, combine all the ingredients for the sauce into a saucepan and heat over a medium low heat. Stirring until the sugar is dissolved and continue to simmer for 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the salad, combine all the ingredients together in a bowl. Take 3 tbsp of the dressing and add the sesame oil and lime juice, mix well and toss into the salad. Set aside.
- For the tartar sauce, in a bowl, mix all the ingredients together and check for seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- For the chicken, place each chicken breast between two sheets of the parchment and flatten to about 2cm in thickness.
- Pour the beaten eggs into a shallow bowl.
- Combine the plain flour with the cornflour, add the red pepper flakes and the salt to the flours and mix well.
- Dip the chicken into the egg and then into the flour.
- Place on a piece of parchment until all are completed.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken, 2 at a time until it is fully cooked through.
- To assemble, spoon the rice into a mould and turn it out on a serving plate, add the salad, chicken, tartare and tare dipping sauces. Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh coriander.