Torta di Mele di Nonna Rosa | Grandma Rosa’s apple cake
Moist and delicious, this is a fruit dessert that you can make -year–round. It is also perfect for breakfast. When you have a big crowd coming, pop one of these into the oven, and your guests will devour it along with a dollop of whipped cream and a good cup of coffee.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch kosher salt
- zest of 1 lemon, grated
- 3 baking apples (such as golden delicious), peeled, cored and cut into ½ inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons – light, brown sugar
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. butter and flour an 8 or 9 inch springform pan
In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and white sugar until pale and light, about 1 minute. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until light and fluffy, another minute or two. Beat in the vanilla.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the mixer with the lemon zest, and mix until just combined. In a medium bowl, toss together the apples, brown sugar, and walnuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and then sprinkle with the apple mixture.
Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a rack, then unmold, and cut into wedges to serve.
Still hungry?… See more recipe’s from Lidia’s Kitchen