Who doesn’t like mashed potatoes? Of course, we love them, but everyone wants to be careful about adding too much butter. So try making it the way my nonna used to make it in Italy—with olive oil, or with garlic and olive oil. It’s healthier, and still a favourite at our table. For a variation, toast three garlic cloves in olive oil in a large skillet, let cool to room temperature and add to the mashed potatoes.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 pound Idaho or Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed, but unpeeled
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, preferably white
Instructions for Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
- Pour enough cold water over the potatoes in a large saucepan to cover them by a few inches. Season the water with salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender but still hold their shape, 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size and shape of the potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Peel the potatoes, and pass them through a ricer or a food mill with a fine disc.
- Gently stir in the olive oil, and season them to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- Enjoy Lidia’s Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out Lidia’s Kitchen!