David Rocco provides a recipe for a traditional Italian favourite – Fried Zucchini Flowers. This is the most traditional and popular method for consuming the flowers from zucchini plants; they feature a crispy and tasty exterior.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 12 zucchini flowers
- 1/2 cup of white wine (120ml)
- 1 large mozzarella ball, cut into narrow strips
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (120ml)
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- Salt to season
Instructions for Fried Zucchini Flowers
- With a dry dishtowel, gently brush off any dirt on the flower. Do not rinse with water. Check inside for any insects and shake them out.
- Stuff zucchini flowers with an anchovy filet and a strip of mozzarella.
- For the batter, mix eggs, all-purpose flour and wine together until the consistency is smooth and even.
- Heat up extra virgin olive oil.
- Gently coat stuffed zucchini flowers with batter. Fry zucchini flowers in oil until golden brown. Place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil and immediately season with salt.
- Enjoy David Rocco‘s Fried Zucchini Flowers!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out David Rocco’s Dolce Vita!