This flavorful one-pot meal is perfect for when big crowds are coming, because the recipe can easily be doubled. It is great for family-style dining or buffets.
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 links sweet Italian sausage without fennel seeds (about 2½ pounds)
- 2 medium onions, halved, then quartered at the root end
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 4 golden delicious apples, cored and cut into 8 wedges each
Instructions for One-Pot Sausages & Apples
- Heat a large shallow Dutch oven or very large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausages and brown all over, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir to coat the onions in the oil. Cover the skillet, and let the onions brown and wilt, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Scatter in the sage leaves, and add the vinegar and ¾ cup hot water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until onions are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apples, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, set the cover ajar, and cook until apples are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, increase the heat to get the juices bubbling, and simmer until the juices reduce and glaze the sausages, apples, and onions, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve right away.
- Enjoy Lidia Bastianich’s One-Pot Sausages & Apples!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out Lidia’s Kitchen!