Lidia Bastianich provides a recipe for chicken parmigiana – an Italian-American all-time favorite.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 6 (6- to 8-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 large basil leaves, shredded
- 3 cups marinara
- 8 ounces low-moisture mozzarella, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup grana padano, grated
Instructions for Chicken Parmigiana
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Lightly pound the chicken breasts, just to make them an even thickness. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Spread flour and breadcrumbs on 2 rimmed plates. Beat the eggs in a wide shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken in flour, tapping off the excess. Dip the chicken in egg, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Coat the chicken on all sides in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, in batches if necessary. Cook until browned and crispy, about 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Stir shredded basil into the marinara. In a medium bowl, toss together the grated cheese.
- In a baking dish large enough to fit the chicken in one layer, spread 11/2 cups of the marinara. Lay the chicken breasts on the sauce. Top with remaining marinara. Sprinkle with the grated cheeses.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and topping is browned and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Enjoy Lidia Bastianich’s Chicken Parmigiana!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out Lidia’s Kitchen!