With spring almost here, what better time to fire up the grill! This Trout a la Plancha recipe from Rob Rossi and Criag Harding features Sumac spice, which is a staple in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. Prized for its unique tangy flavour, it pairs exceptionally well with trout as it adds fresh notes of citrus and a wonderful colour from its deep burgundy berries. The crisp and bitter radicchio goes perfectly with the fattiness of the trout while fresh dill and sherry vinegar bring the whole dish together.
- Source a boneless filet of Rainbow Trout ideally from a sustainable fishery
Instructions for Sumac Trout a la Plancha
- Lightly season with Salt, Pepper and Sumac (Middle Eastern Spice)
- Preheat a grill or griddle pan and once it’s almost smoking turn down to low heat
- Cook skin side down for 5-7 minutes until skin is crispy and browned and the flesh is almost cooked through on top. Keeping a touch of pink is the key to keeping it moist.
- To garnish, add Radicchio, Belgian Endive and Chopped fresh Dill. Season with Olive Oil a splash of Sherry Vinegar and a touch more Salt & Pepper
- Enjoy Rob and Craig’s Sumac Trout a la Plancha!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out Open Fire!