This episode is all about Pati’s boys — it’s time for a little mother/son bonding time. First, Pati takes Alan, Sami, and Juju to their favorite place to have fun, and then for lunch, the boys will pick their absolute favorite dishes that their mom makes. The only hitch? They have to give mom a hand as she prepares each dish.
Serves 4 to 6
– 4 teleras, bolillos, Portuguese buns, petite baguettes or large baguettes, cut into 5- to 6-inch pieces
– 2 cups refried beans, homemade or store-bought
– 2 cups shredded Oaxaca, mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or mild cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
– Traditional tomato pico de gallo salsa, or other salsa of your choice
– Optional extra toppings: crumbled and fried Mexican-style chorizo, crisp bacon, ham, turkey, sautéed mushrooms or avocado slices
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread each piece with 3 to 4 tablespoons of refried beans and top with 3 to 4 tablespoons of grated cheese. Arrange the molletes on a baking sheet as you make them. If you want to add more toppings like ham, turkey, bacon or chorizo, sprinkle them on top of the cheese.
When they are all assembled, bake until the cheese has melted and the bread has a nice toasted crust on the bottom and around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Eat while hot. Serve with pico de gallo, or your favorite salsa, on the side.
Still hungry?… See more recipe’s from Pati’s Mexican Table