David Rocco provides a recipe for Zuppa di Vongole (Italian Clam Soup). This must be made with fresh clams still in their shells for the ultimate clam experience.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 pounds of fresh clams (900g)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (60ml), plus extra for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 crushed, 1 for rubbing
- 1 fresh chili pepper, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup white wine (240ml)
- Bunch of fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Salt to season
- 1 stone from the sea
- 4 slices of country bread, toasted and halved
Instructions for Zuppa di Vongole
- Remove excess sand from clams by soaking it in a bowl of cold salted water. The clams will open up their shells and release the sand.
- In a pan, fry up garlic, chilli pepper and cherry tomatoes for 30 seconds.
- Add clams and cook for 30 seconds with the lid on, shaking the pan often.
- Add wine to pan and cover until clams have completely opened. Add parsley and salt. Continue cooking for another minute for all the flavours to come together.
- Rub some raw garlic on toasted bread slices. Drizzle bread with extra virgin olive oil. Serve clam soup in bowls with 2 half slices per bowl.
- Enjoy David Rocco‘s Zuppa di Vongole!
Hungry for more recipes? Check out David Rocco’s Dolce Vita!